47 Commerce Ave. SW - Grand Rapids, MI
Torco Oil constructed this building as an auto repair shop in 1926. The site thrived for a number of years but eventually Torco went out of business and the building went into disrepair. The Prairie Real Estate Group acquired the building in 2002 and completed a historic restoration of the structural elements of the building including a new roof, leveling of the floors and sandblasting all of the support beams and masonry walls. 47 Commerce is a part of the National Historic Registry and all work was completed within the guidelines of the United States Department of Interiors.
In 2009 Lambert, Edwards & Associates leased the entire building and with Prairie Real Estate Group completed a build-out that has received numerous awards for office space design including the American Institute of Architects Honor Award for adaptive reuse and it is currently being considered for LEED certification.